CQ – rugby league’s heartland the NRL’s obvious expansion choice
July 21st, 2011
2013, 2014, 2015 it doesn’t matter to the CQ NRL Bid. CQ is the heartland of rugby league and the CQ NRL Bid Team is unwavering in its commitment to getting Central Queenslander’s the team they so richly deserve. The CQ NRL Bid stands for substance not sensationalism. You only have to listen for a few minutes to passionate Chairman Geoff Murphy to see why the CQ NRL Bid is riding high on a groundswell of community and corporate support;
“The CQ NRL Bid has overwhelming support from our community. Our CQ NRL Team will provide a national identity for Central Queensland, a region that has so much to be proud of with its economic, social, cultural and sporting achievements. In CQ we ive and breathe rugby league – it consumes us and it dominates our social culture.”
But while Murphy’s passion is palpable, the man who is leading this fast-building phenomenon, hastens to add that this is not the primary reason Central Queensland is the NRL’s obvious choice for expansion;
“Expansion is all about what the CQ NRL Bid can offer to the NRL. We offer so much to the NRL, an untouched sporting landscape and hundreds of thousands of avid rugby league followers who are ready to consume the product that is rugby league and the NRL brand in a manner that is unprecedented in this country.”
You only have to look at the progress the CQ NRL Bid has made to see that this Bid is no flash in the pan, it is the real deal. Below is the list that provides the compelling evidence to David Gallop, John Grant and his fellow commissioners that the CQ NRL Bid is the risk-free, obvious choice for NRL expansion:
- 35,000 Signed Bid Members – continuing to grow daily.
- Commitment to build a brand new state-of-the-art Stadium to showcase the NRL.
- In excess of 8000 junior rugby league players in CQ – the next generation of home-grown heroes and role models for the NRL.
- A burgeoning Leagues Club that has over 10,000 members and has experienced over 400% growth in membership in the last two years.
- Outstanding Leadership – Chairman Geoff Murphy (JMK & BEEF Australia) is the one of the most prominent and respected businessman in Queensland & CEO Denis Keeffe (formerly of NQ Cowboys, NBL Taipans & Crocs) is one of Australia’s leading Sporting Administrators
- Top 20 Company, QR National has committed to Principal Sponsorship of the CQ NRL Team.
- 150+ committed Corporate Partners contributing significant finances & support to CQ NRL Bid.
- QR National Schools Program visiting 120 schools a year in 2011 and 2012 to promote rugby league, healthy lifestyle choices and the CQ NRL Bid.
- QR National Scholarship Program – awarding 10 scholarships for disadvantaged youths in the CQ region to attend boarding school in CQ and pursue their academic and sporting dreams.
- Stanwell Development Team – U/13s team representing CQ to play games in Townsville & Gold Coast against the best school rugby league teams in Qld. Program includes contemporary Player Welfare Education and Strength & Conditioning Programs - Our Future Heroes!