Live NRL is great news for CQ - Kerri-Anne Mesner Morning Bulletin

NEW television broadcasting rights to show live NRL games announced yesterday has CQ NRL Bid chief executive officer Denis Keeffe smiling.

While there was no announcement about the number of teams the code would expand by, previously suggested at two teams by 2015, there was a good indication the code could use another Queensland team.

The Australian Rugby League Commission announced a five-year broadcasting agreement with Nine and Fox Sports that will invest more than $1 billion in the future of the code.

Keeffe said while this package was based on the current 16 teams, items in the agreement such as some Sunday night games and some Thursday night games indicated the need for more teams.

“To me they are talking about more games in more segments which says to me they are talking about more teams,” he said.

He said Channel Nine CEO David Gyngell’s discussion about the format of Friday free-to-air football was a sign of what was needed in the code.

Keeffe said Gyngell was talking about Brisbane Broncos dominating those segments, and pretty much saying there wasn’t much the television station could do with only three Queensland teams.

“One of the things that we (CQ) add to the table … we increase the quality and quantity to that section of program,” he said.

“Another Queensland team adds six games to that variety.”

Keeffe said there were a number of things ARL had to do in the coming weeks, and possibly months, including finishing its Strategic Plan, which will include future team expansions.

When the future team expansions are announced, it’s expected the ARL will announce a shortlist of possible locations.

Any new teams could be announced as late as Easter next year.

Hidden hints

Hints from Channel Nine they would like to offer more team variety for Friday Night Football

More segments suggests more teams

No comments yet.

Write a comment:

You have to log in to write a comment.